Monday, March 15, 2010

Remembering Nepal

"...nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people."
- Mark Twain

Nepal. The mention of this country makes some people think of the majestic Himalayan mountain range, some of Buddhism pilgrimages and the origin of a big group of migrant workers in Malaysia. No matter how much you can presume Nepal to be, you have to experience Nepal for yourself, especially to see and know God's heart for this beautiful country.

This week last year I was in Nepal for a mission trip. An experience I can never forget- I could almost remember what happened in bits from the day I left home to the day I got home.

The trip was very special because it was my first time boarding a plane.


My first flight ticket.

I remember not being able to sleep before the night before flying, though I forced myself to. Exited to go on the plane, exited to see what Nepal like and excited to see God at work in that nation!


Took this shot while on air. It was early in the morning at about 7:30am and the moon is still visible.

The moment we touched down, I remembered having all my five senses engaged all at once. The air felt cool on my skin, the air smelled different, the buildings looked significantly different as well as the language that I hear every one is speaking- completely foreign.






One of the first ministries the team get to do was some children's ministry at a ladies conference.

The women, young and old worshiped God with much enthusiasm and zeal through the expression of dancing and singing. With hands lifted high, undignified. Something I find very lacking in our churches in urban Malaysia. Sometimes we're so conscious about what others might think about us if we worship with such passion and losing ourselves completely in the Lord. Face problem still remains as a huge issue, unfortunately. But seeing these women, I was really blessed. I wanna be like them.

There was also the slum school ministry. Yes.





Watching Slumdog Millionaire is one thing, experiencing one is another. The team had a real taste of it when we were lead in by local leaders into the slum villages inhabited by migrants from India, hoping to find a living through child labour and by collecting recyclable materials to sell.

And the children, ever so eager to learn, participate and make a connection with us.


Despite their tough living environments, they are happy.

After, there was also ministry at a Bible school. Where students are learning deeper into the word of God, in training to be pastor and church leaders.

Earnestly seeking the Lord.

Lastly, we went on a short holiday.


The place we had our holiday gave us the chance to enjoy the absolutely stunning, breath-taking view of the mountains and lush landscapes.


We caught the sunrise at 7200ft above sea level. Just amazing!





It's amazing when we witness these amazing creations of God, it often makes us feel insignificant. Becuase truly God is really great and we're absolutely nothing! Yet, His love for us is higher than than tallest mountain, deeper then the the deepest sea.

As I remember this week last year I was in Nepal, I will take this week to remember God's work in the nation of Nepal. God bless Nepal.

1 comment:

  1. hey my Friend - thank you for praying for me. i have saved this link for a time when i could come and sit and visit awhile :)

    can't believe it's already a year! what beautiful pictures you take. what an amazing work God did, and in your heart, too.

    this was very touching.

    ReplyDelete