Sunday, January 10, 2010

'Saya Anak Malaysia'

The question of leaving this country has never really occured to me. For one who always see traveling as a luxurious and rare experience, the idea is very attractive- experiencing different cultures and ways of life, meeting new people. But to be painfully realistic, my family would not be able to afford such a move.

Reading this article really got me thinking. What is the breaking of point for me to decide that I want to leave Malaysia? With all the political unrest and recent attacks on churches in the nation, some of my Christian friends are talking about leaving before it brews into serious things like persecution. Some of the people I know have already left even.

It's easy to think of reasons to leave. Like the saying goes- the grass is always greener at the other side. Like the author of the article, I'm also turning the question into a positive note- What makes me to stay?

Very simple actually. Like I said, I don't get the luxury of traveling a lot but I've had the experience of walking down the slum areas of Kathmandu and interacted with some villagers of an outskirt of Dumai, Indonesia. Life was hard for them, things and money are difficult to come by. Education is scarce, almost unobtainable. Their government is in a bigger mess.

In those circumstances, I was proud to say 'Saya Anak Malaysia'.

I still see a hope for our country to arise. For leaders to do what is right, and not act on their personal interest. For the people not to make rash decisions. For funds to be channeled properly. I still want to believe greater things have yet to come to this nation. That Malaysia would come out of it victorious, by God's grace.


If My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14

No comments:

Post a Comment